Food — growing it, preparing it, eating it — is a central part of life in the Arkadia space colony. Over the next few weeks I’m sharing recipes for some of the food mentioned in the book.
Camilo Molina is someone who wants to make sure no one goes hungry. A homebody and, with his husband Cliff, adoptive parent to a house full of kids, Camilo is one of those people who is always in the kitchen. For him, food is love, snacks are comfort and baking is stress relief. So, when one of his kids goes missing, Camilo’s kitchen starts to look like a commercial bakery.
Here’s one of his favourites.
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup honey (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup nut butter (peanut butter)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda (reduce to 1/2 tsp if using sugar instead of honey)
- pinch salt
- 1 cup mixed nuts, dried fruit (can add chocolate chunks)
- Preheat the oven to 350F/200C.
- Beat the egg, butter and honey (or sugar) with a fork until it’s fluffy. Earthers can add a drop pr two of vanilla extract here. Then stir in the nut butter.
- Once that’s all smooth, add the oats and mix well so the oats are all damp.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt. Stir until it's just mixed, then stir in the fruit and nuts.
- Pour it into a pan, smoothing it out with the back of a spoon. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes until the centre is solid and the top is golden. Let it cool a bit to firm up, then slice into bars.
Share this Recipe
Leave a Reply