Food — growing it, preparing it, eating it — is a central part of life in the Arkadia space colony. Over the next few weeks I’m sharing recipes for some of the food mentioned in the book.
Isabel Hernández isn’t like the other residents of Arkadia. Chen helps her figure out how some parts of this society works and keeps her coming back to his market stall with both his knowledge and the savoury smell of this bread.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp table salt
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs (basil, oregano, marjoram)
- 1 tbsp rosemary leaves
- sea salt
- Mix together the flours, salt, yeast and mixed herbs.
- Add 3 tbsp of the olive oil and the warm water. Stir together until it's too hard to work with a spoon, then knead with your hands until it's all elastic. The dough will be moist.
- Let it rise an hour or more, then punch it down and shape it into a rectangle. Place it on a baking sheet with about a teaspoon of oil rubbed over it. Let it rest about half an hour.
- Stretch the dough out to the edges. Let it rest another half hour. Preheat oven to 425F/220C.
- Poke some divots into the top of the loaf, then drizzle with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and rosemary. Reduce the oven temperature to 375F/200C and bake for about 30 minutes. Cool on a rack and cut into squares.
Share this Recipe
|￪1||basil, oregano, marjoram|
Leave a Reply