Food — growing it, preparing it, eating it — is a central part of life in the Arkadia space colony. Over the next few weeks I’m sharing recipes for some of the food mentioned in the book.
Arkadia isn’t large enough to be able to sustain all crops year round, so its chefs need to be able to improvise based on what is available. This basic soup recipe can be modified nearly endlessly to use different ingredients and create highly varied options.
When Slava Haereoa decided to open a soup cafe, this was the first thing he made. It’s really easy to make, but don’t tell his regular patrons!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 2 potatoes (scrubbed and diced)
- 3 cups chopped vegetables
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Sauté the onion in the oil with salt & pepper, add the garlic.
- Add the potatoes, vegetables and stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Let it cook until the everything is soft. With a potato masher or stick blender, puree everything until it is creamy.
- Add herbs or spices to taste. You can add milk or cream if you want a richer soup.
Some good combinations:
- basil with zucchini (pictured)
- chiles, coriander and cumin with pumpkin/carrots
- thyme with broccoli
- nutmeg with cauliflower
- mint with peas
Share this Recipe