Food — growing it, preparing it, eating it — is a central part of life in the Arkadia space colony. Over the next few weeks I’m sharing recipes for some of the food mentioned in the book.
I don’t know how the chili wars will play out in the future, so let’s not even go there. This dish definitely owes its heritage to the American Southwest, and happens to go very well with Camilo’s Corn Bread.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 small chili pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 sweet green pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cup dried kidney beans (soaked overnight)
- 1/2 cup dried chick peas (soaked overnight)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 6 tomatoes (diced)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- coriander leaf (cilantro)
- Soak the beans overnight in fresh water.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil, adding salt and spices. Add the chili and sweet peppers, and cook until soft.
- Add the vegetable stock and kidney beans, simmer until they are getting tender. Add the chick peas, and simmer until nearly done. Add more stock or water if the mixture sticks or dries out.
- Add the tomatoes, simmer until the tomatoes have cooked down.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaf.
Share this Recipe