Food — growing it, preparing it, eating it — is a central part of life in the Arkadia space colony. Over the next few weeks I’m sharing recipes for some of the food mentioned in the book.
This soup is Siobhan Patel’s favourite, so Vyacheslav Haeroa makes it as often as he can in his soup café. Whatever it takes to get her to see him.
- 4 tomatoes (diced)
- 3/4 cup dried chick peas (soaked overnight)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp oil
- Soak dried chick peas in cold water overnight. They will double in size, so use a large bowl and enough water.
- Saute onion and garlic.
- Add spices, stir until onion is translucent.
- Add flour, and cook a minute.
- Add vegetable stock, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat as broth begins to thicken.
- Add tomatoes and drained chickpeas, taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Simmer 60-90 minutes (or about 15 minutes if using canned or pre-cooked chick peas).
- Add a dash of lemon juice prior to serving.
Share this Recipe